Thursday 27 February 2014

My take on Delia's Latin American beef stew


I wanted to cook a different type of beef stew, as was fed up of doing the usual "English" beef and ale, red wine casserole or chunky chilli con carne. I had remembered doing this a long type ago, from Delia's how to series. It was rich and yet subtle. I love the addition of butternut squash and pepper. I'd decided to add a few of my own ingredients which I knew would only enhance this rich dish. In the original recipe, she uses sweetcorn. I didn't have any! 




I love the taste of fresh coriander, so I've added the finely chop stalks in this. Result - it was amazing!!!!! We've got leftovers today, so will taste even better. Enjoy!!!

Around 600g-750g braising or featherblade steak, fat removed
1 onion, chopped
1 leek, finely chopped
2-5 cloves of garlic crushed
A bunch of coriander stalks, finely sliced
1 aubergine, roughly chopped in chunky pieces
2 yellow/red peppers
Half a butternut squash, roughly chopped in chunks
1 red chilli (deseeded if not liking it too hot)
1tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tin tomatoes
A glass of brown ale
A glass of red/white wine
S&P and a few pinches of sugar
Coriander leaves to serve and dollop of sour cream

Brown off meat in two batches, season accordingly and remove. Add onion, leek, garlic and chilli. Add flour and spices, colour slightly. Place meat back in casserole. Add peppers, bns, aubergine, sweat slightly then add ale and reduce, now add tinned tomatoes followed by a good glug/small glass of wine. Season well, and a few pinches of sugar. Lid on and place in oven for 2-3 hours. Serve with rice. This will feed about 4 hungry people.



Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment