Tuesday 20 May 2014

Banana and choc mixed up loaf

 
 
 
 
 
As the tin denotes, tis a cake.
 
 
It's supposed to be marble but quite frankly this is the only marbled bit in it. The other slices were blobby. It should be called Banana Blob Loaf. Anyway, despite my ineffectual marbling skills this cake is pretty damn good.
 
I'd like to place this under my frugal banner for these reasons:
a) I like to watch bananas slowly rot in the fruit bowl so that you can smell them from the next street. I then put them in the freezer to use for things like this. I have a freezer full of the stinkers
b) My mum left the children's Aldi Easter bunnies in the car and they melted. She still gave them to them. They have been sitting in the bread bin like tragic radiation victims. I bashed one up like I was bunny baiting and bunged the chunks in.
 
 
Recipe (as usual, my bung it all in and see what alchemy happens type of recipe)
 
 
100g butter/stork
150g caster sugar
225g Self raising flour
2 very ripe bananas
1 level teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs
2 heaped tablespoons of cocoa powder  - I like good old Bourneville
Bashed up chocolate bunny brains optional.
 
 
Method
 
Oven 160c fan/180c fan
Line and grease a 1lb loaf tin
 
Chuck everything bar the cocoa powder and bunny into a mixer and whizz - if you are doing it by hand - cream the butter and sugar till pale and interesting. Beat in the eggs, and the bananas which you will have to mash. Then fold in the flour and baking powder.
 
Take out about a third of the cake mix and place in a bowl. Add the cocoa powder and stir till incorporated. Add the bunny brains to the banana cake mix.
 
Spoon in alternate cake mixes in a blobby fashion into the tin. Then take the end of a spoon and run it from one end of the tin to the other. This will either be marbled or look like its lost its marbles.
 
This was ready in about 55mins in my fast oven. So I'd say check after 50 - 60 mins.
 
Eat it warm and the bunny brains are lovely and gooey!
 
 
Siân



No comments:

Post a Comment