Thursday 22 May 2014

Old el Porko - easy pork fajitas

 
I went to Aldi for my weekly shop, religiously planned as per the last few weeks (£72 this week as I bought some plants). Tonight's tea should have been chicken fajitas. To be honest the look of Aldi's chicken wasn't very inspiring. I like to use boneless thighs which they didn't have and the breast was a bit slimy. So I decided to change to pork mince, which was a lot cheaper than the breast anyway. The tortillas were from there and they were nice and substantial, bit too thick for a sandwich wrap but right for a dinner. I'm not one for packet mixes as you should know by now, mainly because the kids don't like spice so I cooked up a plain version for them and a spicy one for us and here it is. Feel free to add more or less spice and use whatever condiments you like amigos.
 
 
Ingredients
 
1 pack of pork mince
1 bunch of spring onion
3 cloves of garlic
1 chilli (I use Sainsbury's frozen red chilli ice cubes -so handy!)
Very liberal shaking in a Ainsley Harriot way of Creole spice/Jerk spice/Carribbean spices.
Loads of black pepper
Splodge of tomato puree
1 chicken stock cube
1/2 tin kidney beans
 
Tortilla wraps
Peppers
Cucumbers
Lettuce
Cheese
Mayo/Sour Cream/Red Pepper Humus
 
Method
 
Dry fry the pork mince till brown and then add the spring onion and garlic and cook for a few minutes. Add the spices, pepper and puree. Sprinkle on stock cube and pour over boiled water to cover. Simmer for around 15 minutes. Add beans for the last 2 minutes.

I put it all on the table and we all helped ourselves. Anne had given me some unopened red pepper humus from our quiz night last week so I spread that on my tortilla which was a stroke of genius if you ask me. Even the little ones loved it minus the spice - the boy ate his in 2 minutes!


Siân

No comments:

Post a Comment